Thursday, July 9, 2009

The dreaded glucose test...

I went earlier this week to have a glucose screening test done. It's basically a test that determines whether or not you have gestational diabetes. You have to fast for 8 hours, drink this nasty orange drink then have your blood drawn an hour later. Well, I got a phone message today from one of the nurses at the doctors' office and she said that she would like me to call her back "to discuss my results". I knew that that couldn't be good. When I called her back, she said that they usually like to see blood sugar levels under 130....mine was 132!! Go figure!! After doing some reading about this test, some places use 140 as a cutoff, but some places have switched to 130 which has created more false positives. So now I have to go back on Monday ....fast for 12 hours, drink the horrible drink, then have my blood drawn 4 times! They draw it before the drink, then every hour for 3 hours to see how my body processes it. Should be fun to sit around the waiting room all morning.
The nurse also told me that my iron level was about 1 point away from the anemic level, so I have to begin taking an additional iron supplement, too.
In 6 weeks, it will all be worth it!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I never got the gestational diabetes, however, I am naturally anemic, so it just got worse with pregnancy. I also only had to do the GTT with Cooper. And ya, it sucked. Put a few movies on your ipod for the wait!

    ReplyDelete